Monday, May 21, 2007

Here is some information on my Utah Army Guard unit.


The 211th Aviation Group is located in West Jordan, UT. They fly and maintain primarily AH-64 Apache's and UH-60 Blackhawk's.

So the chain from top to bottom is I Corps, 66th Aviation Brigade, 211th Attack, 2nd Battalion (Black Hawks), HHC (Headquarters), S3 (Communications and Training), and me. There it is. I have been assigned to HHC in S3 that sets up the communications with the aircraft for air to ground coms and also coordinates training during drill weekends. There are also other Battalions of the 211th scattered around the country which represent the Chinooks (lift helicopters) and other aircraft. It took me two months to get a handle on the structure. I have realized that I am in a sort of limbo here. Im not really able to help out much. I get the feeling that the command is not exactly sure what to do with the OCS guys because, like myself, I have had no Army training and no Army personnel record to speak of. So getting an ID card, my OCS packet ready, and things like that done seem to be up to me.

The 211th Aviation Regiment (Attack) mission is to provide command and control and supervision of the Corps Attack Helicopter Battalions. The Regiment's Utah Army National Guard subordinate units include: Headquarters Company, 211th Aviation Regiment; 1st Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment ; Company D, 1st Battalion, 189th Aviation Combat Service Support Battalion; and Detachment 1, Company B, 193rd Aviation Intermediate Maintenance.





Last drill weekend we spent the entire time inspecting a number of Humvees and other military trucks. This is a pic of the Humvee from the back seat. Not overly impressive huh?

It is interesting that many of the career minded people have a love for aviation. Many of the people I have met are very much into general aviation and are pursuing private licenses. With my Navy squadron the interest in aviation in general simply wasn't there. I have enjoyed "talking flying" with some of the people here.

With everything going on here Im not sure how to juggle everything I have to do. I am studying for the ACT. My scores are over 10 years old and to go to OCS they need to be less than that. I am also studying for my ATP (Air Transport License). Thats the little paper that your airline pilot has. Thirdly I am working on my OCS packet. So I have been trying to manage those things effectively. I have realized that I am a one thing at a time type of guy. Not good. But I'll make do. The next blog will be about my trip to Michigan.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to Phily and to Denver over the next month or two--I'll be sure to look up the blog to add some locations to your "user map."

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home