Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Road Trip to Michigan

I drove out to Michigan 2 weeks ago to say howdy to the Reddens and Luanne and Chuck and to get the yard cleaned up back at the house. The drive out went well except the tractor trailer that caught on fire backing up traffic for miles westbound on the very start of I-80 just outside of Salt Lake City.




You know its going to be a long wait when they show up with a portapotty!!!

I arrived in Grand Rapids at about 3am and decided to camp out on The Redden's driveway and then knock at 7am or so. This would have worked out really well until Grandma let the dog out in the middle of the night and noticed a strange car in her driveway. So she woke up Grandpa and he came out to investigate. A few moments later he knocked on the car window and I looked up, smiled and waived as if this was all perfectly normal. Darn that call of nature. So after everyone took their glycerin we all went to bed. We tried to anyway.

The yard looked pretty good when I drove up and it didn't take long to get the water in the house going and run the pipes clean. I opened the windows to let everything air out and started to change the oil in the machines. Everything went well until I over filled the motor that blows the clippings in the big hopper behind the mower. I over filled it I think and oil blew everywhere. Great!! Im having a wonderful time in Michigan. So I get everything else going and start mowing and blowing and trimming.


The next day I drive up to see Luanne and her man slave...I mean Chuck. Here are some pics of their new addition. They did an amazing job getting it put together.





I have to figure out how to have the program keep portraits as they are. I'll see what Aaron says.

Anyway. Luanne and I walked around town and ate at a pretty cool sandwich shop then headed back to the house to watch Chuck build a fire to cook Buffalo burgers!! These things were fantastic. Here is a good place to talk about the wonders of HDTV. We might give Aunt and Uncle a hard time about there internet access but let me tell ya....they have a fantastic flat screen HDTV and amazing HD channels. Commercials for deodorant never looked so good! Im jealous!

I spent a couple more days mowing and dumping goo in the woods and one morning I was even attacked by a wild turkey. Well not attacked really but he squawked, I squawked, and he ran off while I assumed by best ninja stance. That afternoon I noticed a truck parked in the south field so I crept out there trying to figure out if there was a hunting season underway. So I crept around, stalking my prey. I finally heard human foot steps from around the back of the swamp area. I knelt in the pathway and waited to get a look at him. He walked around and found the pathway 50 yards away heading right toward me. So I stood and waived and I knew he didnt know who I was. Only moments earlier did I realize it was Robby. We shook hands and talked for a while. He mentioned that he has been picking up the big branches that had fallen throughout the winter. Thats good because the lawn care people that were going to mow that day were going to charge a thousand for yard clean up and mowing. I looked around the yard and asked them what they were going to clean?!

On Friday we all went out with the Reddens and Ron to a steak place. The cook didn't do well on Grandma's sirloin so she had to get a new one. Ron was too hungry to wait for another. Mine was perfect. I suppose the waitress knew that I wasn't to be messed with. I don't mind smackin servers around. I think she knew that. hehe.

By Saturday night the yard was done and I was ready to get home to Corbin. The drive back took about 24 hours or so with clear skies the entire way.

It was great seeing the Reddens and Higgins folks. As is their way, Grandma and Grandpa will bend over backward to help out anyway they can. It was good to just hang out and work on the yard. Its therapeutic at times.

As for Corbin, he didnt seem to care that I was home at first. After a few minuets he figured out I was back finally and was happy to see me. Next time I will take him with me. Im not sure how leaving for OCS in October is going to go for him. Well see.




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a huge pleasure and treat to see you! Love,Luanne and Chuck

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My neck hurts from tilting my head to see your pictures... ouch!

Sounds like you had a nice trip. Oh good news.... maybe we will end up being "guard brothers" after all... well, for at least three more years anyways.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home