Friday, November 16, 2007



Master Spencer Sherman.

Tonight I received a marvelous call from my most esteemed nephew Spencer. With delight, I instantly recognized his clear voice and was fascinated by the ensuing conversation. I was most amused by the ever increasing vocabulary of this sincere and unassuming young man. He informed me that Slippers "pisses", dad was fishing, and his little brother had just made a big mess. We discussed the finer points of making messes at great length, and how his older cousin doesn't quite appreciate them.

Twice I have called to talk to either Andy or Kristy and once I hung up, was called back by Spencer. It's high time that Spencer is considered fully phone qualified and as such should be included in the initial call. We musn't let him think "Why didn't they want to talk to me?" when he knows an uncle called.

The title of this post my ring a bell to some. All throughout our childhood Grandpa and Grandma Sherman would use "Master" in front of our names on the greeting cards they sent. I don't know how it started and still not sure what it was all about...(deeper meaning?) but I do know how it felt to see it on my cards every year. So why not keep it going with the nephews and nieces?

Quote of the day: Your life is an occasion; step up to it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note from parent:

Spencer said "hisses" not "pisses."

As for the term "Master"--After its replacement in common speech by Mister, Master was retained as an address for boys or young men. By the late 19th Century, etiquette dictated that men be addressed as Mister, boys under 13 years old be addressed as Master, and from 13 to the age of maturity males not be accorded courtesy titles. However, in more recent times it is not uncommon for high-school boys (and sometimes junior-high-school boys, but not, typically, younger) to be addressed as Mister, though some etiquette writers hold that the title Mr should not be used until the boy has left school. The title Master is much less frequently used in spoken language than formerly.

However, Master is still used as the written form of address for boys of some undefined age, often regarded as under 13 in formal correspondence, particularly invitations to formal affairs.

3:43 PM  
Blogger John and Jan Sherman said...

Nice blog Master Adam Sherman. I hope that I have mostly remember to say "Master" Spencer or Cooper or Carsen or Harrison. I try hard. Thanks for the reminder. It will mean a lot to the nephews also.

7:33 PM  
Blogger John and Jan Sherman said...

Funny Funny Funny "Hisses" hehehehe

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home