Friday, May 09, 2008

Considering the events of the past month or so it has been too long since I’ve updated the blog. This post covers OCS, the aftermath, waiting to actually pin on my rank, and starting my new job.

OCS

I left home on the 10th of January and traveled to Alabama. I hope I never have to go back! Ft. McClellan is just west of Atlanta Georgia and surrounded by a national forrest and a massive field artillery range. I left Salt Lake with 4 other candidates that I had come to know well and liked. We landed in Alabama and loaded our bags on white busses. The Air Force calls ‘em “blue gooses” and they are not well known for a smooth ride and fancy amenities. Two hours we pull into the parking lot of what would become our new home for what seemed like a lifetime. We took our time, got off the bus, found our bags, lined up and waited for someone to tell us what to do. Out walks this old bald man wearing a black hat with bright gold First Sergeant rank pinned to it. This is the man! He seems polite and tells us to break up into groups, do this and do that. We do some paperwork and eat then go to bed. The first day was really pretty nice. The second day was more in-processing and was pretty laid back. Im thinking “I can handle this!” In the back of my mind I know that its only the quite before the storm. Needless to say the start of the third day left little doubt. We were marched to the base chapel. Its called the WAC Chapel. This is the fort that every women who joined the Army Air Corps went through basic at. Its a pretty cool place. We file into the chapel and the big brass get up and tell us that we are true American heros and they respect our decision for attending OCS. They mention that some won’t make it but no one really heard that. After stroking our ego’s we were filed out and marched to a parade field. What was curious about the situation was that the field was lined with people standing and staring at us as we marched in. Can you say foreshadowing. Do you remember hearing stories about people setting up chairs and bringing lunches to watch the Battle of Gettysburg? Yeah...like that. The only thing anyone in ranks was saying was “Oh Shit”. We lined up facing away from the bleachers and the Amazing Grace was played over the sound system. After the song ended we were given an about face and half the audience had changed their hats and were now wearing the black hat of the TAC’s. (Teach, Asses, and Counsel) 45 minuets later, some sweat, and lots of groaning, the initial flogging was over. They then announced that it was time for D&C. This has nothing to do with scripture; believe me. So we break up into platoons and start marching around. Now understand that most of these guys are long-time veterans and most have been in combat. Our marching was crap. We did more push-ups for piss-poor marching than anything else.

Phase I of OCS is all about learning how things work at the school, memorizing the OCS handbook, and Land Nav. Land Nav is compass work. Take a soldier, give him a compass and watch him or her get very lost very quickly. Its tons-O-fun! Failing the Land Nav written test and practical test is also what get most people kicked out of OCS. Phase one lasts 2 weeks. I did well in phase one. I was a squad leader for a day as my leadership position. (cake walk...no...I never even got cake!) I found 6 of 7 points on the day course and 5 out of 5 on the night course.
During phase one we spend plenty of time in the field practicing for the practical test. The last practice for the night land nav was one of the worst nights of my life. Ready? We are in the deep south and its just above freezing and raining. Of course!! We are wearing our uniform, a kevlar helmet, gortex jackets, our LBV...(belt and suspenders with two full canteens, compass, first aid kit, and our poncho folded on the back of it). Over the LBE we are wearing a green purse type bag that we call a map case. Its full of papers and stuff we need to do the days work. This is the standard uniform for most of OCS. So that night its raining and I am dropped off in the middle of the forrest with 5 other people and we land in 3 inches of mud as we jump off the truck. I find a place on the ground off the road that isn't covered in briar patch or thorns and whip out my trusty pencil, compass, and army protractor. Instantly everything is sopping wet and the map is threatening to fall apart. These maps are pretty water proof but not Alabama proof. So I start marking the map and plotting my points but Im having a heck of a time keeping the rush of water off the map. At this point you might be wondering why I have a poncho folded over my belt and not over my head to keep the water off my map. It is such a pain in the rear to properly fold and tie the thing on the belt that the mere thought of removing the thing causes most candidates to bellyache somthin’ fierce! So there I sit in the mud, getting soaked and I’m not happy at all. Rain is now flowing off my kevlar and onto my nose and this isn't just drip or two. Its a river. So I offer a few choice words (I know you can picture this...) and throw my best pencil into the murky darkness and trudge off down the road. I’ve decided that since my first point is next to the very road I am on that I will skip going to the first one, hit the second, then go home. I only have to hit two points to pass and the end point at our camp counts. So I trudge off and find the second point and run into a few other guys that are doing the same thing. I think about it some more and decide that maybe I will find at least one more then go in. As I find my third point the rain seems to stop. So I decide to go onto the next point and when I get there I notice that its warmed up and the stars are out. By the time I get back to camp I had found every point and I smiling ear to ear. I have never prayed more in my life than I did at OCS.


Phase II of OCS revolves around the classroom. This is an entire new form of hell that the military seems to relish. Get up at 4 in the morning, go to bed at 11pm and spend the entire day sitting in a hot classroom staring blindly at endless power point presentations! It is very difficult to stay awake in that atmosphere. God forbid a TAC might see you nod off! Phase II is 4 weeks long and in that time we also did our PT test, a 5 mile and 7 mile road march with 35 pounds pack, and a 3 mile formation run. Yay!! During phase II my TAC asked me if I had my leadership position for that phase. I said no. He smiled and said Sherrmmmaann (writing my name in a book) That night they made me the Commanding Officer. Change of command comes after dinner chow and its usually dark and cold out. We are all formed up in our platoons and everyone is thinking...please not me.....please not me. The lead TAC announces “The new CO is....Officer Candidate Sherman!” Everyone claps and in unison yells, ”Whew..Glad it wasn’t me!” So my job, like everyone else before me that had the job, is to run up to the center of the formation, salute the CO and take command. Taking command is really easy. He salutes me back then I do and about face and yell, “First Sergeant, Front and Center” He runs up usually in tears because he has just been given the worst assignment in OCS. I return the salute and run off taking my place behind the formation. I had so much fun as the CO. After my day as CO my performance was reviewed and I had a pretty decent talk with the TAC. After that I was far more confidant about getting through OCS.

I met some of the most amazing men and women at OCS. These people are some dynamic individuals and will make brilliant officers. Rest assured that the Guard is in good hands. Active Army officers are another story.

I will post some pictures as I find them and post this as soon as I get back home.



Im actually on a Southwest flight from Chicago to SLC. After I got home from OCS I looked up a friend that I knew worked for a blender manufacturer here in Orem. He raves about the place and I knew they had sales positions open. I emailed him my resume and got a position. I am a floating sales rep for Blendtec. They have a web site: www.willitblend.com I work 10 days on and 10 days off. Every 10 days they send me anywhere in the country and Canada to do a 10 day show at a Costco or Sam’s. I just completed my 2 training shows where I made 30 dollars a blender. As a full time rep I will make 50 a blender that I sell at the show. They pay for travel, hotel, rental car, and 25 dollars a day for food. All I do is show up and demonstrate the blender and people buy it. I got approved for an AMEX business card with no limit (scary) that will give me airline miles on everything. Blendtec will use this card to cover my expenses. That way i get the miles and then get reimbursed after each show. Im thinking that it will pretty easy to move about 60 blenders a show at first. The 10 days on and 10 off works out to a show and a half a month. Should be fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger John and Jan Sherman said...

Long, long ago in a far away city named Orem there was a man who learned the term "Oh Fudge" and God said, "That was good."
Far far away in a place called Alabama this man from Orem took upon himself the old, forbidden words. And I guess we know who put him up that, don't we -- can we spell SATAN?
Glad you passed OCS. Glad you got a job. Glad you appreciate Chaucer in middle English. Can you recite it?

Love, Mom & Dad

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home